January 7, 2015
To the Parents/Guardians of Miller School Students:
Please read these important reminders and mark your calendars!
1. Friday, January 9th will be a PATRIOT’S DAY!! Students may wear a Patriots shirt or something blue. A Patriots hat or a blue hat will be allowed. GO PATRIOTS!!
2. On Friday, January 9th, the 5th grade will attend a Culture Connection of Galileo – Starry Messenger. Thank you to ES PTSA for their continued support of these valuable learning experiences.
3. A reminder to 4th grade band students that there are additional full band practices on Monday, January 12th and Monday, January 26th from 2:33-3:30. Please remember your instruments and music for these practices. Parents, students should be picked up at 3:30.
4. News Club & Math Club starting soon!
News Club will be starting for all Miller School students at the end of January. The focus of this club will be to report on and highlight activities of Miller School. The club is designed to enhance the writing and presentation skills of students. Students will be encouraged to use a variety of technology tools. Registration forms are due back byJanuary 15th and can be found at http://www.holliston.k12.ma.us/BackPack/15mnc.pdf
Math Club will be starting for Grade 4 and Grade 5 Miller School students in February. The club is designed to enhance critical thinking skills on higher order math concepts and offer our students enrichment activities that will encourage them to use a variety of math manipulatives and technology tools. Registration forms are due back by January 28th and can be found at http://www.holliston.k12.ma.us/BackPack/15mmc.pdf
5. Friday, January 16th, there is no school for students due to a Professional Development Day. Monday, January 19th there is no school for students and staff in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6. Correction from last email blast: Tuesday, January 20th we will follow a FRIDAY schedule. If your child has instrument lessons on Fridays they should bring their instrument. If your child has gym on Fridays they should bring their sneakers.
7. Friday, January 23rd will be our next food pantry collection day. Every child that brings in a donation will add a snowball to our snowman wall in the lobby! Thank you for your continued support of this very worthy cause.
8. On Wednesday, January 28th, the 4th & 5th grade band concert will be held in the HS auditorium at 7:00pm.
9. The PTSA is hosting 3 speakers/discussion nights in January & February:
Tuesday January 27th: Panel Discussion, Holliston’s District Behavioral Supports. (Co-hosting with SEPAC) Learn how the district processes disciplinary actions. 7-9pm, Adams MS Auditorium.
Monday February 2nd: Overcoming Learning Obstacles, Discussion on Anxiety as the New ADHD. (Co-hosting with SEPAC) Most school districts have seen a marked rise in anxiety related illnesses and hospitalizations due to anxiety in school-aged children. Learn what the signs and symptoms of anxiety are and when to get support. 7-9pm, Adams MS Auditorium.
Thursday, February 5th: The Informed Parent: Current Trends in Alcohol and Illegal Drug Use in Holliston. A panel of local experts will discuss the trends in Holliston, the teen brain, prevention, laws and how to begin or continue a discussion of prevention with your children. Important information for everyone in the community, but especially for parents of Upper Elementary, Middle School and High School children. 7-9pm, Adams MS Auditorium.